Saturday, June 6, 2015
And Breads, and Cinnamon Rolls, and Swedish Rusk, and Danish ……. and so much more. All offerings of the charming Bishop Hill Bakery and Eatery in Bishop Hill, Illinois.
I grew up in central Illinois farm country yet had never been to
Bishop Hill. On a visit back home it took a Facebook post from a cousin about an upcoming quilt show in Bishop Hill to get us there. What a nice surprise. Founded in 1846 by Swedish immigrants, the village is much as it was 160 years ago. We came for a few hours and spent the day. Which meant a stop for lunch, of course. We couldn’t miss Bishop Hill Bakery and Eatery located right in the heart of the village on Bishop Hill Street. The outdoor seating and the entire setting looked so inviting we had to give it a try. I confess that their ad in the Bishop Hill brochure did have something to do with our decision. I mean, how can you resist the phrase “Baked Goods from Scratch, Handmade Lunches to Match!”
It was a gorgeous spring day so we joined other diners at the umbrella covered picnic tables outdoors. Ordering has been simplified with the slips pictured. You can take your time perusing the choices and simple circle exactly what you want with the pencils provided, a novel and efficient idea. Among our group of four we chose a cup of Spinach Bisque with a 1/2 sandwich of Chicken Salad on Spinach Parmesan Bread (the gals), Swedish Meatballs with Salad, and a Ham Sandwich served with chips and a pickle (the guys). All I needed was one taste to decide to Blog about Bishop Hill Bakery and Eatery. Everything was fresh and delicious.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)